Our relationship with you
Thank you for visiting the Elgas website, and for your interest in our company, our products and our services. Our goal is to provide you with quality products and services to meet your needs. If you apply to us for credit for the payment for our products and services, this policy statement describes how we manage your credit and credit eligibility information in the course of pursuing this goal.
Respecting your privacy and the law
We protect the privacy of your credit and credit eligibility information in accordance with the Privacy (Credit Reporting) Code 2014 (Version 2.1), the Australian Privacy Principles, the Privacy Act 1988 (Commonwealth), and all relevant laws and regulations.
Purpose and Scope of this Policy
This policy describes the way that Elgas (and our agents and contractors) handle your credit and credit eligibility information collected in Australia from our customers and anyone who applies to us for credit.
This policy tells you:
1) Your credit and credit eligibility information that we collect and hold
2) How we collect it
3) The purposes for which we collect it
4) When we disclose it to third parties
5) What credit reporting bodies do
6) What information we may give to credit reporting bodies
7) The credit reporting body we use
8) How we store your information
9) What happens if we refuse your credit application
10) How you can access and correct your credit and credit eligibility information
11) How to make a complaint
12) Fraud and identity theft
13) Your credit card
14) This policy in another format
1. Your credit and credit eligibility information that we collect & hold
Your credit and credit eligibility information which we collect includes:
- your name and contact details;
- your credit history, including your repayments or late repayments;
- any credit you asked for or obtained from other credit providers;
- a credit rating or credit assessment score which we calculate or which a credit reporting body provides to us; and
- your credit-related court proceedings or insolvency applications.
2. How we collect your credit and credit eligibility Information
We may collect your credit and credit eligibility information from you or from third parties, including from credit reporting bodies and other credit providers.
3. The purposes for which we collect your credit and credit eligibility information
We use your credit and credit eligibility information to help us decide whether to provide or continue to provide products and services to you on credit and to manage our relationship with you.
We may use or disclose your credit and credit eligibility information for a number of purposes including to:
- assess your application for credit;
- collect payments that you owe us;
- consider whether to provide credit to you;
- respond to any access or correction requests that you make to us, a credit reporting provider or another credit provider;
- respond to any complaint that you make, whether to us, a regulator or any provider of a recognised external dispute resolution scheme; and
- comply with the law or an order of a court or tribunal.
If you don’t provide this information to us, we may not be able to answer your query or provide products, services or credit to you.
4.When we disclose your credit-related information to third parties
We may disclose your credit-related information to:
- credit reporting bodies that collect credit and credit eligibility information about individuals and use that information to provide credit and credit eligibility information to their customers;
- third parties – such as debt collectors, credit management agencies and our agents and other third parties that provide credit and credit eligibility services to us – for example, by processing applications for credit made to us;
- other providers of goods or services who provide, or are considering providing, credit to you;
- an actual or potential guarantor of credit provided to you;
- third parties to whom we assign your debt.
5. What credit reporting bodies do
Credit reporting bodies collect a range of credit and credit eligibility information about individuals to provide a credit-related service to their customers. They may include your information in reports provided to other credit providers to help them assess your credit worthiness.
6. What information we may give to credit reporting bodies
We may inform credit reporting bodies if you:
- do not pay for the products and services that we provide to you;
- commit fraud or try to; and
- commit a serious credit infringement.
This may affect your ability to obtain credit in the future.
7. The credit reporting body we use
We may disclose your information to the following credit reporting body: Equifax Australia Information Services and Solutions Pty Limited (formerly Veda)
Call: 13 83 32
Mail: 100 Arthur Street North Sydney NSW 2060
8. How we store your information
We securely store all credit-related information that we collect or hold about you. We do not currently hold credit-related information overseas.
9. What happens if we refuse your credit application
If we refuse your credit application based on information from a credit reporting body, we tell you and give you the name and contact details of that body and any other information we are required to give you.
10. How you can access and correct your credit or credit eligibility information
You may ask to access to your credit and credit eligibility information held by us.
If you ask us to correct your credit or credit eligibility information, we will respond within 30 days (or any longer period you agree to) and we will correct it if you show us that it is inaccurate, out-of-date, incomplete, irrelevant or misleading.
We may consult with other credit providers and credit reporting bodies about your request, and if we do, we will tell them you have made a complaint. We will notify you about the corrected information. We will also notify any other credit provider and credit reporting body to which we have disclosed the information, including where we disclosed your credit or credit eligibility information after you made a complaint but before it was resolved.
If we correct your credit or credit eligibility information without you asking us to, we will take reasonable steps to notify to you and any other credit provider and credit reporting body to which we have previously disclosed that information.
You also have the right to request that credit reporting body does not use your credit or credit eligibility information held by it for the purposes of prescreening any direct marketing by credit providers. If you would like to make such a request, you should contact the credit reporting body using the contact details set out above at point 7.
11. How to make a complaint
Unless it is impracticable or unlawful for us to do so, we will notify any credit provider and credit reporting body to which we have disclosed information that you have made a complaint and the outcome of that complaint.
12. Fraud and identity theft
If you believe you have been a victim of fraud or identity theft, you can contact the credit reporting body directly and ask them not to disclose your credit-related information.
13. Your Credit Card
14. This Policy in another format
If you wish to receive a paper copy of this policy or this policy in another format, please contact us using the postal address listed above.
Elgas reserves the right to alter this policy at any time in compliance with relevant privacy and credit reporting law. This policy was last updated in June 2022.